Thursday 2 January 2014

DRY STONE WALLS MINIATURES

I finally got round to getting my paints out again over the Christmas/New Year break.   I've got some beautiful little dry stone wall castings that I bought off ebay ages ago that I've been meaning to get round to painting and finally have done.

This is how they looked when they arrived:




They're cast in a creamy-white resin/plastic which holds the fine detail very nicely.  First job was to spray undercoat the lot in chaos black.





Then I painted the earthy bits in burnt umber. 




Next I went over all the walling with a light grey, thinned down to let the black show through a bit in patches. 


Then went over liberally with a black ink wash to well into the cracks and crevices.


Finally, to finish off the walls, I faintly drybrushed with a bone white. This really pulls out the edge, and set against the ink wash finishes off the slate effect very well.


For ground detailing, I painted on thin lines of pva glue into some of the cracks and added some mossy scatter.


I have still to add the grass over the top to complete the pieces, (pics at a later date.)

I think the (almost!) finished result is very realistic and will be a great addition to my scenery pieces for Lord of the Rings wargaming.


No comments:

Post a Comment