Thursday 28 March 2013

WELCOME

Hello blogging world.  This is my new blog; new in that it's just started, and new in that I've never blogged before.  Of course the best thing to blog about is something that interests you.  I am interested in a number of things, but one I am geekily passionate about is making and painting very small things.

Specifically,  miniature scenery.  You know, the kind of thing used for wargaming or model railways.  I don't have a model railway (much to my wife's relief) but I do indulge in a spot of Lord of the Rings wargaming from time to time.  Every now and again the kitchen table gets excitedly cleared and my trusty 4' x 4' board of grass gets called into action for war to be waged, good against evil and all that.

A horde of orcs supported by a couple of trolls advance on an unlikely coalition of Dwarves and Rohirrim.
As you can probably tell, I like overgrown ruins. They have that mysterious, I-wonder-what-used-to-happen-there-so-long-ago kind of appeal that I find fascinating.  The painting below beautifully captures a lot that I find thrilling about ruins.  I'm sorry I don't know who the artist is, but it's a great pic.  If I lost you at 'wargaming', this probably isn't the blog for you.  Thanks for stopping by.  Move along.


I also like trees. I'm still not very good at making them, but each one comes out slightly better than the last.  I have yet to have a bash at waterfalls, but I like them too.  In fact, pretty much all natural terrain fills me with wonder, and recreating it in miniature is marvellously satisfying.

I'm starting to make inroads into interior modelling too. I'm currently halfway through a medieval pub tavern.  I'll pretty much have a go at anything, as long as it fits vaguely within a Lord of the Rings / Medieval setting.

I'm going to be posting updates on scenery items and projects I am working on or have completed, as time allows.  There'll be lots of pictures, with step-by-step details about how to make them yourself.

If you like my stuff, feel free to comment.  If you think I could do something better, feel free to criticize.  If you don't like anything here, that's fine too, no-one's making you read it.

Back to the paintpots and scatter flocking....

No comments:

Post a Comment