Thursday 25 April 2013

TANKARD OF GROG PLEASE LANDLORD

We're back with the medieval tavern again today.  I thought I'd cover a couple of the pieces together - the barman/bar and the beer barrels.

 

Here is the barman polishing a tankard, freshly after a coat of chaos black undercoat.

 

The wood is all done using the same method I've used before.  Pretty much all of this piece is wood.  Burnt umber basecoat, with a drybrushing of light leather brown.  

 

After drybrushing the piece, I mixed up some dark greens and purples for basecoating the bottles and bric a brac behind the bar.
 

Here's the finished piece from the front.  All the barrel straps I painted in vallejo gun metal (GW boltgun metal).  Terracotta for the flask/pot, and sand for the sacks, with a brown ink overcoat.  I chose white for the barman's shirt with a nice yellow waistcoat and green cravat.  Fetching. 

I'm not that good at skin yet. I use a basecoat of dwarf skin (GW dwarf flesh) with an overcoat of elf skintone (GW elf flesh).  I left gaps around the ears and eyes and edges of the hands to create a bit of a shading effect.  I wonder if the axe is for emergency firewood cutting or for dealing with adventurers who've downed a bit too much of the black thunder.

 

"Pina colada my good fellow, and a skinny decaff latte for the lady."..... The barman squints his eyes at you with a withering stare. "It's grog. Or grog. If you're lucky, it won't have any rat in it."


The barrel rack was a bit boring actually.  Mostly wood, again, but the lettering was quite fun to do.  I painted out the plates with white, and then very carefully went back over them again in black, leaving the recesses of the lettering in white to look like chalk.  The barrel wood I inked over with a black ink wash to give the wood a different look from the rest of the furniture.

 

Here's a low-angle shot of a few of the pieces arranged.  The food prep table is in the foreground, with the cooking ranges and ovens behind to the left. To the back right is the common room hearth and tables.  But I'll do them another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment